The third heat of the CAFOD Liverpool mini-Olympics took place at St Margaret Mary’s Catholic Primary School on the morning of Friday 15th June and it involved 6 schools from Knowsley LEA. The six schools that battled it out included:
- St Anne’s Catholic Primary School in Huyton (Brazil)
- St Mark’s Catholic Primary School in Halewood (Cambodia)
- Holy Family Catholic Primary School in Cronton (Ethiopia)
- SS Peter & Paul Catholic Primary School in Kirkby (Rwanda)
- St Michael and All Angels Catholic Primary School in Kirkby (El Salvador)
- St Laurence’s Catholic Primary School in Kirkby (Bangladesh)
The Olympics were based on the Quadkids award scheme and involved a 75 metre sprint, a 600 metre run, a long jump, a throwing event and concluded with a relay. At the end of the morning, while the children were receiving their medals and certificates, Mike Dooling ( a CAFOD volunteer who helped with the running of the morning) brought out his Olympic torch that he recently ran with and the children (and staff) were very excited to get their photograph taken with the torch!
Altogether 47 primary schools in Liverpool Archdiocese will be taking part in the CAFOD mini Olympics this June. The winner will be announced at the beginning of July, with the winning school winning the CAFOD Liverpool mini Olympic trophy!!!!
A massive thank you for all who helped make the morning such a success including our friends at St Margaret Mary for their hospitality and Mike Dooling or all his hard work on the day.