The eighth heat of the CAFOD Liverpool mini-Olympics took place at Cardinal Heenan Catholic High School in West Derby on the afternoon of Friday 29th June and it involved 7 schools from Liverpool LEA. The seven schools that battled it out included:
- St Christopher’s Catholic Primary School in Speke (Cambodia)
- St Teresa of Lisieux Catholic Primary School in Norris Green (Brazil)
- Carleton House Preparatory School (El Salvador)
- Holy Family Catholic Primary School in Toxteth (Ethiopia)
- Christ the King Catholic Primary School in Wavertree (Liberia)
- St Patrick’s Catholic Primary School (Rwanda)
- All Saints Catholic Primary School in Anfield (Bangladesh)
The Olympics were based on the Quadkids award scheme and involved a 75 metre sprint, a 600 metre run, a long jump, a throwing event and concluded with a relay. At the end of the afternoon, while the children were receiving their medals and certificates, Mike Dooling ( a CAFOD volunteer who helped with the running of the afternoon) brought out his Olympic torch that he recently ran with and the children (and staff) were very excited to get their photograph taken with the torch!
Altogether 44 primary schools in Liverpool Archdiocese will be taking part in the CAFOD mini Olympics this June. The winner will be announced at the beginning of July, with the winning school winning the CAFOD Liverpool mini Olympic trophy!!!!
A massive thank you for all who helped make the afternoon such a success including our friends at Cardinal Heenan for their hospitality and Mike Dooling or all his hard work on the day. Also a special thank you to the year 12 sport leaders from Cardinal Heenan who were absolute stars on the day!