The Wigan heat of the CAFOD Cup took place at St John Rigby Sixth Form College on the morning of Friday 7th June and it involved 8 schools from Wigan LEA. The eight schools that battled it out included:
- St Bernadette’s Catholic Primary School in Shevington (Cambodia)
- Holy Family Catholic Primary School in Boothstown (El Salvador)
- St Gabriel’s Catholic Primary School in Higher Folds (Rwanda)
- St Oswald’s Catholic Primary School in Aston-in-Makerfield (Bangladesh)
- St Aidan’s Catholic Primary School in Winstanley (Brazil)
- St Teresa’s Catholic Primary School in Upholland (Liberia)
- St Jude’s Catholic Primary School in Worsley Mesnes (DCR)
- St Mary and St John Catholic Primary School in Standishgate-(Ethiopia)
All the schools came up with their own victory dances too! After a nail-biting and fun-filled tournament, the semi–finals saw St Teresa’s pitted against St Mary & St John’s and St Jude’s versus St Gabriel’s. In the end St Mary & St John’s and St Gabriel’s reached the finals with St Mary & St John’s galloping to victory to be crowned the ‘CAFOD Cup Wigan heat winners.’ St Mary & St John’s will now be representing Wigan in the CAFOD Cup grand final! Every child who took part received a CAFOD Cup medal and a certificate!
You can see a copy of the programme here:
Altogether 32 primary schools in Liverpool Archdiocese will be taking part in the CAFOD Cup this June. The winner will be announced at the beginning of July, with the winning school winning the CAFOD Cup trophy!!!!
Many thanks and congratulations to all the schools who took part-we hope that you had as much fun as we did!!!!
A massive thank you for all who helped make the morning such a success including our friends at St John Rigby for their hospitality.
Here are just some of the photos that were taken during the day…….